Friday 5 February 2010

Agreed

I sent off my Learning Agreement today, which I am really happy with. I think it offers me a lot of opportunity to really explore the subject without being too broad, and in really focusing on AIWS it gives me a really solid visual foundation for the project. My synopsis of study;

For EMP I plan to produce a body of work which will be based on quotes, excerpts, ideas, themes and concepts I come across whilst researching into visual perception, with specific reference to Alice In Wonderland Syndrome (AIWS). AIWS, also known as Todd's syndrome, is a disorienting neurological condition which affects human perception. The most prominent and often most disturbing symptom is that of altered body image: the sufferer will find that they are confused as to the size and shape of parts of (or all of) their body. The sufferer may also 'see' objects with the wrong size or shape and/or finds that perspective is incorrect. This can mean that people, cars, buildings, etc. look smaller or larger than they should be, or that distances look incorrect; for example a corridor may appear to be very long, or the ground may appear too close. (wikipedia.com)
My final illustrations and images will be presented in a context that is dictated by the direction that the project is led through extensive research, and the images themselves. For example, this context could be a book, an arts/illustration magazine, a science magazine or an exhibition in a gallery or museum.
My final outcomes will be underpinned by in-depth research, as I strongly believe that the research should determine the content and the look of the finished articles, the context they are placed in and the audience that will receive them. For the images, I intend to study texts that relate to visual perception and AIWS, and from these initial sources other writings, images or concepts will make themselves clear and new directions may be taken. For me to be able to respond to the sources accurately and in an informed way, I must understand what I’m reading so in-depth research into all aspects of perception will be an important side to my work. I will respond to relevant quotes, passages or ideas visually, taking my conclusions and findings from the work then moving on. This will result in a process-led project which will be related to the scientific themes by my methodical approach to working and the dissection of each piece of information. My outcomes will be defined by this experimental approach. Also in keeping with the subject matter, I intend to take a scientific, analytical approach to image-making by thoroughly exploring materials and content, keeping track of failures and successes along the way.
Visual perception and AIWS is a particularly interesting and inspiring subject, and one that offers me many and varied visual references. These will enable me to build a body of work to be put in my portfolio, and that will lead me into the professional worlds of illustration and design. The subject matter also offers me the creative opportunity to explore different ways of working, through ideas of scale, perspective and dimension.

In doing this project, I would like to inform and inspire people to take an interest in the subject of my work. At the same time, I would like to continue the development of my style and hone my skills and working practice by combining my main interests of art, design and science.

More Hip Hop today, classic Comm Sense with Primo.... The 6th Sense

No comments: