Monday 5 October 2009

Negotiated Practice

First day of a new course! It felt strange walking through the door to the Illustration studio this morning, but I had an overriding sense that this is my final and most important year in Bournemouth so I have to make it count. I don’t really know anyone on Illustration, so it was a bit of a relief to see a small group of familiar Vis Comm faces. What with starting a new course and getting our first brief it was all a bit overwhelming and hard to take in, but also exciting. As one door closes etc etc....

Our first brief is good, and I hope it will give me a real opportunity to develop my style of illustration and my thought processes. After two years of Vis Comm I’m used to taking a very practical approach to design, where the first considerations are the audience, the layout, the packaging, the font....
As for ideas for the brief? I would like to try and link my work this year with the course I’m going on to next year, which should provide some interesting material for projects. I’ve got textbooks to read so they could be a good starting point. I’m nervous about showing my work to the group for my tutorial tomorrow as I’ve come from a course where the emphasis was on graphics rather than illustration, but I’m also looking forward to seeing what people think. Will it be up to the standards expected? Will people like it? Should I care if they do or don’t?

No comments: